What we know about the death of a Brazilian woman at the hands of police and an anti-government protest

A woman has died in Brazil after being allegedly tortured, left for days on the floor of a police station and then taken away to a remote part of the country to be interrogated, a human rights group has said.

Key points:The death of 28-year-old Maria Teresa Curiosidade sparked protests in Rio de Janeiro on Saturday nightThe incident took place at a police detention centre on Rio de Paulo’s outskirtsThe man suspected of her death has been arrested, but his lawyer has not yet filed a complaintPolice have arrested two other people in connection with the death, and the investigation into the incident is ongoingPolice said they were called to a protest in Rio on Saturday evening by the Brazilian Civil Guard against an alleged plot by a pro-government group to kill the head of state.

The woman, whose name has not been released, died from severe burns and injuries, according to the human rights organization Proyecto da Ficcion de Rio.

Proyecte said the woman was left for two days on a floor of the police station in Rio’s north-west district of Mato Grosso do Sul, in what is known as an “inhumane” practice that is common in Brazil.

“This is not only a crime, it’s an act of torture,” Maria Teresa’s brother Rafael Curios said in a statement on Sunday.

“I ask you to help us in investigating the case, in order to make sure that this crime is never repeated.”

Proyce said the suspect had been arrested but had not filed a formal complaint.

Police have not yet named the suspect, who is reportedly a member of the Fascist Group, or provided any details about the incident.

The group has been accused of inciting violence against the president of the Brazilian Senate, Eduardo Cunha, who has been under house arrest since October last year.

Brazilian human rights groups have called for an investigation into what they describe as widespread human rights violations by police and military personnel.

The case has drawn criticism from human rights organisations in Brazil and the US, with both countries sending investigators to investigate.

Police say they were responding to a call from a citizen who said a group of people wanted to “kill” Cunhas successor, Dilma Rousseff, but that the call was recorded on a phone and later shared on social media.

The incident has sparked a national debate about how Brazil is policing itself.

President Michel Temer, who took office last month, has vowed to crack down on violent protesters, who have taken to the streets of major cities across the country.

“They are here for one thing: to destroy the state of Brazil,” Temer said last week.

“It is not a war of freedom, it is a war against the people.”

Rio de Janeiro, one of Brazil’s richest cities, has been in lockdown since the inauguration of Temer last month.